When I first heard about this soup at a local restaurant I thought it sounded disgusting! Who wants a soggy soupy chesseburger?! But for some reason I did try it and was in love! It is a great comfort soup for a rainy day! Plus its super versatile, you can switch up the potatoes to pasta and have a different type of meal!
And do you know that today 9/18 is National Cheeseburger Day?! Celebrate with this soup!
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup shredded carrots
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups cubed potatoes
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cubed Cheddar cheese or Velveeta
- 1½ cups milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- In a large pot, melt 1 tablespoon butter or margarine over medium heat: cook and stir vegetables and beef , until beef is brown.
- Stir in basil and parsley. Add broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil, then simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Melt the remainder of butter and stir in flour. Add the milk, stirring until smooth.
- Gradually add milk mixture to the soup, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Stir in cheese. When cheese is melted, add sour cream and heat through. Do not bring to a boil